Thursday, December 18, 2008

E.M. speaks the truth.


I've been listening to Erwin McManus, the founder and pastor of mosaic church, as of late, thanks to my brother. His words feel like a well spring of inspiration. Everything he says is focused on finding your Future, your Dream, Yourself. Each week that I have listened to, he has told his listeners that they are a part of a plan bigger than themselves, that they are for the world around them, to be used as the Lord wills. As believers, they are the ones who should be the "greats" in the world, the ones to create new, beautiful things, the ones to accomplish huge tasks. Each of his messages brings forth a step to take. The most profound step so far, or at least the one whose information I contained the easiest, was on Adapting.
In this message, his main point was that you must have a strong core so that you may adapt to your surroundings, without losing the base of character that you are to have acquired. He used an illustration about an experience he had with pilates ,through which he had learned, that without a strong core, you have minimum flexibility.
Now, building strong character from the beginning of your life was an important point of his. The first 20 years of your life, give or take, are about Preparation and Execution, and if you do not learn these steps you will never complete the next stages of your life which involve Enduring and Adjusting. If the first two steps are not learned in high school and college, they must be re-learned later on, or failure is eminent. Enduring hardships and Adjusting to life's situations are very linked with the Preparation taken in strengthening your core, and the early Executing of those prepared skills.
Throughout his sermons, he refers to his community, which are mostly artists living in LA, but we ALL have dreams that need to be prepared for, executed, endured, and adjusted. If not, we need to find something, as he says, that would be good for the world at large. What is your life being lived for? Who are you becoming? How will that change the world?-Are just a few of the questions he asks.
I feel very young.
I am.
His questions make me ask, really, who am I becoming? What am I preparing for? I've always had this drive to become the most I could, to be a renaissance woman. I worry sometimes how well I can accomplish what I seek out to be with how much I don't know. Every day I'm alive I realize another thing I don't know, another field I have no business being in. It's humbling. I know I'll never reach the point where I know enough. It's a frontier that just goes on. A journey that doesn't end.
But I'll always be ready to take that on.
I know that.

Thanks, Erwin, for the pushes you give to step forward.

No comments: