Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Samples


Last Saturday, after seeing a delightful flick at the theater (The Tale of Despereaux), my family and I all walked to Costco. It was coldest weather I have ever walked in. I think my face froze off.
Now, one of the many wonders of costco is the free samples which they provide. They make a simple trip to a warehouse filled with food-in-bulk into a treasure hunt of surprise to your taste buds, but, really, how important is it that you get that tiny bite of ravioli before that other guy? (or even at all)
As I said before, it was bitterly cold out, and there, the most appropriate sample could be found: hot apple cider. And there I waited. Not long, but I waited. Two, Three, Maybe Four people were in front of me. Now it was my turn, but before I had the chance to move, a vulture rose from the crowd and snatched my drink! MINE. He winked at me and said a snively "Thank you." to the one who was serving. I watched him slurp it down. He was at least in his late forties. He should have known the etiquette of waiting in sample lines.... I took the next tiny cup of cider, feeling shafted and stepped on.
This was a small moment which shows us the character of what we all could be. It makes me think of when people would pay to watch the Gladiators. For a small price, a person could have entertainment and free food. People would gorge themselves to the point where they would vomit. There were entire pits built merely for people's puke. I think this is the epitome of human greediness. They didn't know when to stop. Just like the kid who was in front of me that day who took three fine cheese samples when there were clearly at least six or seven other people waiting. It was completely thoughtless.
Tellemicus, a monk living during the period of the gladiators, felt that the Lord was calling him to Rome. When he arrived, he was shuffled into the Colosseum to behold the slaughtering. He had been living, sheltered in the mountains for most of his life, and what he saw disgusted him. He began running down the steps of the theater yelling "In the Name of Jesus Christ, Stop!" he began somewhat quietly, but grew steadily louder. Soon enough, his was the only voice heard. He was shot down by the guards, and with his last breath he said "In the name of Jesus Christ, Stop!" With the mention of this name, one person left, and soon enough, the Colosseum was empty.
Tellemicus was called to Rome to be killed for a great cause, to stop the murdering, and end the greed the Colosseum brought to people of all ages. His bravery, obedience, but even more, the Lord inside of him, brought the this end to an evil.
In our lives, we should obviously not yell at every person that cuts us off in line. Instead, lets be examples to the people, showing them who we serve by letting them go ahead. Show them why you are different. Show them your love with simple kindnesses.

No comments: