Wednesday, March 4, 2009

a rift, a raft

Do you ever feel like an Island? You are just one person unable to touch those around you?

Or are you more of a raft afloat at sea, trying desperately to run aground, but you can't reach the islands because all they know how to do is be alone?

I wish things didn't have to be either way.

Are we all islands to somebody?

This upcoming school year, I will be going to school and doing things that are really completely new to me. Nothing will be the same. That might sound like an exaggeration, but it's not. I'm changing schools, the people I see most are graduating, and my schedule will be greatly altered. I never thought I would really be afraid of something new. I try new things all the time. I love new experiences! And so far, I have fought my way into new places with ease (to some degree), yet I'm still scared. As Keane says "Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same."
I have lived in the same house, gone to the same school, attended and worked at the same church my entire life. Major change has never come my way. Now, it is waiting at my doorstep, and I am constantly in knots over the future.
Through all this, I feel like everything around me is untouchable. I can't grasp on to the people and places I know. I am a raft, and oh, how I wish I weren't at sea, chasing the white whale.
Stagnant waters are dangerous. You can't drink from them, and the only things that grow from them are bacteria and fungus. We all must head into the current, dive deep, and avoid the rocks and eddies along the way. We all must take on our challenges.
I hope I'm a strong raft.

2 comments:

EmVo said...

Abbie, you have an amazing way with words. I have often felt the same way.

Annie Mae said...

You Maker indeed put extra care in making you strong and sturdy. Good materials. Good Ropes. Ride the waves!