Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Twenty-seven & Twenty-eight


Oceanography class inspires alot of things, including a few mock drawings of Hokusai's Great Wave. I know, this piece is now quite over done, and may be considered a cliche, but I still love it. It has become an icon for Japanese art, and it symbolizes much of what is important to that culture- Their great Mount Fuji (Fuji-san, as they call it), and the sea, which is important for their lively-hood. The sea is something bittersweet, it may be what they believe provides, but also what puts them in such peril. (I think the fishermen would contend for that in this painting.) It is amazing what a painting can portray.
Here are a few of my Oceanography works-
(Could not get this upright for some reason....)

Also, I added a "smack" in there for fun . (A smack is the name for a group of jellyfish. Who knew?)Not great pics... I know. Camera was running out of batteries, so I did it quick!

No comments: