Friday, April 23, 2010

Twentythree

York Minister, in York of course, is the largest Gothic chapel in all of Northern Europe. This is not a surprise when you admire it's inspiring stain glass windows. At first glimpse, I thought "This is too much for my self righteous, bleeding heart to take. Didn't they know people were poor and dying even then???" I'm sure they were not totally unaware, and who am I to criticize great art of any time and place?

I've been pondering as of late whether great man-made splendor and beauty are right when the world is in turmoil- which is all the time. I dearly love beauty and all things wonderous and gaudy (Gaudi being one of my favorites in the art world, and he was not by any means subtle or sparing in extravagance.) Yet, I am bothered by those who pour themselves and their money into things of no consequence. Is life only about yourself, your friends, your family, and your happiness? No. Who is the ressurrection and the Life? Riddle me that, oh seekers of splendor.

The windows of York Minister, as you may know, are very finely detailed, yet so high from the ground, what person can even look so close as to see the ornately done pictures? The artist,
John Thornton, said (roughly) that the details were done "for only God's eyes to see." Isn't that beautiful? Thornton's work was done for the Lord. His time was given for God's pleasure, just as ours should be in all we do.

Each day, why do we try to keep our thoughts clean? Why do we try (and sometimes fail) to be good even with no one watching. Ah! But He is watching, and His eyes see the details of the windows to our souls.
In the end, I feel all things we do are done through our hearts. Some things can be done for us, and everything done for ourselves will perish. And Some things... some things can be done for God.

So today, do what is beautiful for the eye's of God. The splendor of man will perish, but the Lord is forever.

No comments: